Saturday, January 10, 2009

Jiu jitsu


Brazilian jiu jitsu to be exact. (My wife calls it who-hits-who.) Yep, I'm 40 and I've taken up martial arts. What was I thinking??

Actually, I know exactly what I'm thinking and I'm having a blast. I took up kickboxing for fitness a few months ago. I wanted something new and lifting weights and riding my bike just weren't doing it for me. I needed something more active.

The kickboxing is great. It's far from monotonous and working out is fun again but, I've always wanted to learn a martial art and jiu jitsu looked like fun.

It's a blast! You remember wrestling with your friends when you were a kid? This is the similar but you learn techniques for submitting your opponent. Arm and leg bars, choke holds, etc... Top that off with the fact that it provides a great workout. There are times when my ribs don't seem to expand enough for me to get the air I need into my lungs.

So, yep, I'm 40 and I'm having fun wrestling with other grown men. It's just another adventure in life. One that I've passed up for years and now I'm really enjoying it.

Have you ever wanted to try something new? Today's the day - go do it.

You might as well enjoy the ride.

No comments: